NEW YORK, Aug. 17, 2021 – Upstream, a non-profit sparking innovative solutions to plastic pollution, has announced the nominees of the first-ever virtual National Reuse Awards (aka The Reusies ), which will take place Thursday, September 30. Presented in partnership with circular economy-focused investment firm and innovation center, Closed Loop Partners, the awards show will be hosted by TV personality and science communicator Danni Washington and celebrate the heroes of reuse.
Tickets to attend the event and sponsorship honoring Most Innovative Reuse Company, Activist of the Year, Fan Favorite Reuse Company, and Most Impactful Community Leadership are available as of today. The final winners for the Reusies will be announced during the show.
“The Reusies is a celebration of pioneers and innovators in the growing reuse economy,” said Matt Prindiville, CEO at Upstream. “The individuals and organizations we’re recognizing are launching innovative ideas to protect the planet. They’re charting a future to get what we want and need without all the waste.”
The event seems focused on B2C transformation and complements work done through the Reusable Packaging Association and its Reusable Packaging Awards over the last decade. The Reusable Packaging Awards is a program that celebrates reusable packaging innovation and best practices predominantly in the B2B sector. The RPA will announce its 2021 winner at the PACK EXPO Las Vegas Show in September 2021.
The nominees for the remaining three categories are:
- Fan Favorite Reuse Company: Blueland, Just Salad, Plaine Products, Saalt, and Stojo
- Most Impactful Community Leadership: ReusableLA and Zero Waste Humboldt
- Activist of the Year: Craig W. Cadwallader– Policy Coordinator, Surfrider Foundation (South Bay Chapter); Crystal Dreisbach– Founder, Green to Go and Executive Director, Don’t Waste Durham; Anukampa Freedom Gupta-Fonner– Chief Imagineer, Design By Freedom
Reusies Awards Judges
Award winners (except Fan Favorite Reuse Company) will be selected by a combined panel of judges and public voting. Judges include:
- Ashima Sukhdev, Programs Lead – North America, Ellen MacArthur Foundation
- Benjamin Von Wong, visual artist, activist, influencer
- Christian Kaufholz, Head of Affiliate Programs & Knowledge Development, Global Plastic Action Partnership, World Economic Forum
- Danni Washington, TV personality, science communicator, ocean advocate
- Elizabeth Segran, senior staff writer, Fast Company
- Erin Simon, Head of Plastic Waste & Business, World Wildlife Fund
- Lauren Singer, founder and CEO, @PlasticFreeShop and @trashfortossers
- William McDonough, Chief Executive, McDonough Innovation and Co-author, Cradle to Cradle: Remaking The Way We Make Things
Added Kate Daly, managing director at Closed Loop Partners, on why they chose to be a presenting partner: “Reuse is vital in addressing the global waste challenge. We’re joining forces with Upstream to bring attention to the incredible ecosystem of innovators working toward a circular future. This builds on our existing work, as we research, test, and invest in solutions that keep valuable materials in circulation longer.”
The event will be emceed by Danni Washington and streamed online on Thursday, September 30 at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET and include performances by singer Kori Withers, video montages, award presentations, and a panel discussion on why reuse wins for the environment and economy through innovation and entrepreneurship. There will also be a live VIP session immediately after the show with speed networking in online breakout rooms.
Tickets are now available at www.TheReusies.org at an early-bird price of $10 for general admission (one screen) through August 31 (after that, general admission ticket cost will increase to $25). VIP Tables (which include 10 screens, access to the VIP after the show, and other perks) are available at $2,500. Category-exclusive sponsorship and brand integrations are also available. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the event website.