Euro Pool System (EPS) and La Palette Rouge (LPR) are celebrating their 25th anniversary together
Two divisions, each with the same year of birth, are sharing their expertise in the area of packaging pooling. EPS has become the standard packaging in the European fresh and packaged foods supply chain with its reusable and folding trays. And LPR has taken a leading position in the FMCG sector with its innovative pallet pooling system. By exchanging knowledge, experiences, and ideas with each other and with their customers, EPS and LPR create space for innovation and synergy throughout the entire supply chain. Both divisions want to thank their customers for their confidence and collaboration in the last 25 years.
“Our story begins in 1992, when three packaging pools, part of the cooperative auction houses in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, wanted to put an end to the logistics impasse of inefficiency in the packaging of fresh produce. They collaborated on this and devised a standard form of packaging for fruit and vegetables”, explains Dirk Vercammen, the Regional Director Western Europe of Euro Pool System.
At the end of 2011, Euro Pool System acquired LPR, thus enlarging the range of products and logistical services offered to its retail customers. “LPR is currently recognized as a major pallet-pooling specialist by the leaders of the FMCG sector. We have got where we are today through a lot of hard work, the trust, and loyalty of our customers, our strict quality requirements, and especially through the daily commitment of our people”, says Xavier Goube, Managing Director of LPR.
Euro Pool Group
Whilst the companies continue to operate as two divisions of the Euro Pool Group, the resources of both are combined, creating a synergy for the benefit of their customers.
With customers in 35 countries and more than 100 service centers, millions of trays and pallets circulate through the chain, making sure the (fresh) food produce are delivered to the grocery stores with a minimum product damage. This results in a turnover of more than 500 million euro in 2016, achieved by a workforce of approximately 1000 people. “We are proud of our history, our products, our achievements, and our loyal and committed team”, says Gerjo Scheringa, the CEO of Euro Pool Group. “Therefore we are happy that we can help our partners to improve the sustainability of the fresh food supply chain. Choosing for returnable packaging implies a conscious choice for a sustainable supply chain.”
And the future?
There is still plenty of room to grow and LPR and Euro Pool Systems are determined to stay on the rising line. “We have developed a product and system that is future proof. Both divisions are based on a ’circular economy’ approach. Sustainability is our core business. Therefore, we believe that an increasing number of stakeholders will join our pooling formula, reducing the CO2 emission, preventing food waste and creating a better world for the next generation. Our goals are set and we are ready for the future”, sums up Gerjo Scheringa.
Key events in the history of EPS and LPR
- Euro Pool System (EPS) founded in Benelux and Germany by auction houses
- La Palette Rouge (LPR) founded in Toulouse
- EPS designs the folding tray (up to 86% less volume when folded)
1997 – 2017
- EPS trays become a favorite across Europe and beyond
- Opening of subsidiaries in Spain, France, Italy, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, United Kingdom, Greece, Hungary, Poland and South Africa
- LPR develops business in Europe with the opening of subsidiaries in Benelux, Spain, Portugal, United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, and Poland
- EPS acquires the French-based pallet pooling company LPR
- EPS is proud to be a market leader in Europe with a turnover of 322 million euro a year and 963 million circulations in 30 countries
- LPR reaches a turnover of 200 million euro a year and 80 million circulations in 14 countries