London, 27 July 2023 – CHEP, the global leader in pallet pooling and expert in sustainable supply chain solutions, has announced the reintroduction of its revolutionary Q+ quarter display pallet, the first of its kind constructed entirely from post-consumer plastic waste¹. This significant innovation represents a critical move toward restorative practices at the point of sale. By harnessing the concept of circularity in product development, CHEP has engineered a product that is not only inventive but also a sustainable answer to the plastic waste dilemma.
“CHEP holds customer service, innovation, quality, and performance in the highest regard,” stated Daniel López, CHEP Europe’s Product Management and Innovation Director. “Renowned Fraunhofer Institute in Germany and CHEP’s Innovation Center in Orlando have confirmed the resilience and consistency of the newly designed Q+ display pallet through comprehensive testing. After two years of research and multiple design revisions, we’ve successfully reengineered this product. This significant achievement propels us forward in our mission to establish restorative supply chains, where products minimize environmental harm while contributing positively to our planet’s health.”
In response to the European Commission and legislative calls for brands to reduce single-use plastic consumption, CHEP is committed to creating products that integrate sustainability and waste reduction at inception. They aim to repurpose consumer waste that would otherwise end up in landfills, creating higher-value products that operate within the circular economy, thereby reducing waste and CO2 emissions throughout their lifespan.
Q+ encapsulates CHEP’s principles of sharing and reuse
The Q+ display quarter pallet, intrinsically circular in design, encapsulates CHEP’s fundamental principles of sharing and reusing. It now consists entirely of 100% post-consumer plastic waste² and is EUCertiPlast certified to verify the process of incorporating its upcycled plastic content³.
The quarter pallet, a solution created 30 years ago in Germany to replace single-use wood quarter pallets, answered a market demand to reduce wood waste and carbon emissions while increasing efficiency in packing, transportation, and in-store operations. CHEP, renowned for its proficiency in closed-loop pallets and containers, worked closely with retailers, FMCG brands, and industry partners to develop the first reusable plastic display pallet. Since its initial German release in 1992, the quarter pallet has extended to key EU countries and the UK and is accepted by all leading European retailers.
The 2023 Q+ reintroduction ushers in significant alterations, positioning it as a unique and restorative market product. This restorative principle lies at the heart of CHEP’s 2025 Sustainability program, seeking to go “beyond zero” (zero emissions, waste, and deforestation) while expanding its circular model and collaborations across regions. The Q+ redesign aids CHEP in reaching its 2025 goal of incorporating 30% upcycled content in new products, setting the stage for even more ambitious objectives.
Alongside its sustainability attributes, the Q+ boasts unique features such as Blue Click®, a patented cardboard connection system that streamlines co-packing, enhances stability, and minimizes the damage that might occur during pre-filled cardboard display transportation.
To this point, CHEP has manufactured 1 million Q+ pallets, effectively recycling and repurposing 2,250 tons of plastic waste. By adhering to a strictly regulated chain of custody for sourced post-consumer plastic, CHEP safeguards the integrity and sustainability of its materials.
The Q+ display quarter pallet relaunch establishes both the wheeled (relaunched in 2020) and static versions as leaders in the transformation of CHEP’s product offerings for the FMCG industry. Now, both versions are composed entirely of 100% post-consumer plastic waste, reaffirming the company’s enduring commitment to aiding its customers in running more sustainable store promotions.
¹ This term refers to material created by end-users of products that have served their intended purpose or are no longer usable (including material returned from the distribution chain). The term ‘post-use’ is often used interchangeably. (Source: ISO 15270:2008)
² The new Q+ static consists of 70% upcycled polypropylene material, with the remaining 30% sourced from damaged and recycled CHEP quarter pallets at the end of their retail market service life-time.
³ This is post-consumer material consumed, typically from household and commercial recycling programs, to create a closed-loop designed product of higher quality or increased functionality.