- According to NAPD, wooden pallet businesses experiencing “unparalleled” demand for pallets – up to 70 percent higher.
- Collaborative forward planning with pallet providers is crucial to ensure supply continuity.
The used wooden pallet industry is reporting a large uplift in inquiries from supply chain users, as the prices of inputs, including raw materials and transport, have increased.
According to members of the National Association of Pallet Distributors (NAPD), demand has risen to “unparalleled levels” – up to 70 percent higher and from further afield than usual – as businesses seek to reduce costs of manufacturing, packaging, and delivery of goods.
“The used wooden pallet business is experiencing heavy growth in demand from existing and new customers,” said Saleh Hijazi, press officer for NAPD. “This is being driven by a shortage of pallets and pallet timber in Western Europe, particularly in the Benelux region, diverting reused pallets and pushing prices up here in the UK. This has been further compounded by severe inflation in energy, transport, and other input costs.
“Reuse is helping to ease these issues – and is a central part of the circular economy, too. Wooden pallets are one of the most sustainable parts of a supply chain already, and repair and reuse of these have an increasingly important part to play in helping businesses fulfill their environmental obligations.
“While this challenging period continues, we are advising our customers that forward planning is more important than ever and we are working closely with them to fulfill the increases in orders.”
- The National Association of Pallet Distributors (N.A.P.D) was founded in 1984 to promote the repair and recycling of pallets to the highest standards. Only companies who agree to meet these standards are admitted to membership of the organization.
- Services provided by NAPD members include sales of new and used pallets, pallet repair services, packing cases, export packing, factory clearance, and wood waste disposal.
- Used pallets are exempt from packaging waste regulations, so buyers are spared the costs and paperwork of meeting these regulations.
- For more information, please visit www.napd.co.uk.