- Dematic announces commercial availability of its micro-fulfillment solution, which can be installed in as quickly as 12 weeks
- An installation is already underway at a Meijer retail location
Intralogistics innovator Dematic has announced the commercial availability of its micro-fulfillment solution, designed to help retailers across industries address increased consumer demand for rapid online order fulfillment in a small footprint. The Dematic solution empowers customers with high throughput requirements to maximize space and achieve profitability with ecommerce ordering, ultimately, advancing their omni-channel distribution strategy to give customers what they want when they want it with one-hour fulfillment.
The Dematic Micro-Fulfillment Difference
Integrating the power of intelligent automation and human expertise, the Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution is a combination of automated technology and proprietary Dematic iQ software. The software specifically enables customers to retain control of their data while providing seamless integration with other inventory management, warehouse and ERP systems so that all stores, distribution centers and corporate offices are networked on the same platform.
With the ability build and install in as quick as 12 weeks, the Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution is designed to be implemented close to the end consumer and is configured to fit into footprints as small as 10,000 sq. ft., such as in the back of a retail store, in a nearby dark store or urban fulfillment center. Such close proximity enables retailers to better utilize and maximize space, while making one-hour fulfillment possible while increasing profitability.
And unlike competitive solutions utilizing untested technology, the Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution leverages proven technology like the Dematic Multishuttle and Goods-to-Person Picking solutions that have set industry standards for decades. Additional features that differentiate the Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution from existing offerings include:
- Cold zone environment capabilities with ambient, chilled and frozen temperature zones
- A global footprint that enables implementation at scale, making it possible for customers to install multiple micro-fulfillment solutions at once, at locations worldwide
- Unmatched 24x7x365 customer service with local operations in over 25 countries, supporting scale at speed
“Dematic has been leading intralogistics innovation and invention for 200 years. We’ve helped automate some of the world’s biggest distribution centers, and now we have a creative solution that truly optimizes the smaller footprints found in the backs of retail stores — our expertise in automation and our scale gives us a real advantage. The global effort to bring a Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution to life in less than six months is proof of that,” said Hasan Dandashly, CEO, Dematic. “Micro-fulfillment is a demonstration of our mission to power the future of commerce, and we aim to set a new standard for order fulfillment, together with our customers.”
Leading U.S. Grocer Inks Deal for Immediate Installation
Dematic also announced a customer installation already in progress with Meijer, a leading U.S. retailer credited with pioneering the modern supercenter concept.
“We’re driven to make shopping at Meijer easy and convenient, so micro-fulfilment is another way our company is leaning into the future of retail,” said Sid Handa, Director of Strategic Supply Chain Initiatives for Meijer. “This micro-fulfillment technology will allow us to maximize space in our stores, help us expand our online shopping options and ultimately keep pace with consumer demand for personalized shopping solutions that puts their shopping preferences first.”
Grocery Is Just the Beginning
Dematic’s highly configurable system can accommodate the Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) capacity and order volume required by today’s grocers and wholesalers, but it also has application for auto parts, consumer electronics, sporting goods, apparel, industrial supplies and department stores that are re-purposing retail store space.
The Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution will address supply chain and distribution challenges now inherent to grocers as well as retailers of all sizes and across markets. This includes:
- Anchoring online and in-store fulfillment from the back of a retail store — creating a true backroom — or from nearby urban fulfillment centers and dark stores, all in much closer proximity to consumers than remote distribution centers.
- Optimizing omni-channel distribution by more effectively using existing real estate for online order assembly, allowing retail consumers to pick up online orders at the closest retail store or service center, or receive it using a delivery service to their home.
The Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution is now available to customers worldwide. More information is available here and follow along for Dematic micro-fulfillment news and developments on the Dematic blog.